Wednesday 21 September 2016

River of thoughts

It was a few years back, the initial days of the band when one of my bandmates came up with a song called River of Thoughts. I wasn't paying much emphasis on lyrics those days so I really can't say that the song changed me completely or deeply influenced me. But I remember the name. Very vividly. Especially today.

For starters, I'm ok with getting arrested if expressing my views is a crime in this country. So, that's where I'd be if you don't hear from me for a very long time.

Now for the subject - No one owns water. It is extremely disheartening to see people squabbling over water. I'm not taking any sides. I'm not saying who has to do what. Its not my position to say so, without knowing the complete story. Like how there are issues on one side, there will be issues on the other side as well. It is quite but obvious that human nature will force you to take sides. Sadly, this gets on to classify people based on their religion, culture and language.

Every solution has a problem. Its easy for me to sit at home and say this. Farmers who protest are very valid in their claims. But targeting people purely based on any of my afore mentioned parameters is just plain simple boorish.

I'd restrained myself from talking about all of this so far. From talking about all the crap that the so called news channels promote as news. From talking about public refraining from all the violence that we saw a few weeks back. From basically having a biased opinion, because it is wrong to comment without knowing any story completely. I saw a video today on a social networking site. Promoted by a news channel as well. I can't find enough words to express how disgusted I am with it. I'm really sad that I commented on it and tagged a friend on it as well, something that I should remove right away so that the post doesn't get promoted. Ok, so that is taken care of right away.

You don't make videos where you belittle people from other cultures. And the bloody news channels shouldn't promote something like this with great support and the numerous hashtags. Solution to sharing is always something that is amicable. Because, duh, its called sharing. The solution isn't to hit people, it isn't to create arson, it isn't to create such shitty videos which come up with the lamest things on the planet - We all know the dispute is between which states over which water source here. There is a line that says Kannad gothilla, something that is oft used to mock the non native Kannada speaking "North Indians". So what if it isn't related. Let's make a video anyway. We'll get our share of fame for as long as the subject is in discussion. Pains me. Just pains me. And using a medium of Music for this. People, just quit. Music is definitely an expression of your rebel. But I'd definitely take offence if your song lyrics say - "Hit the people, sack the people and hit them till he bleeds."

I'm disgusted. Appalled and too much in shock.

No comments: