Friday 31 May 2019

of Stupidity of man (or woman)

Pre Script: "or woman" is in brackets not because I'm sexist. "of Stupidity of man" is a reference to a song.

(The shit you've to clear up. Duh!)

I came across an interview with Will Smith sometime back. He was talking about the influence of social media on people. He made a very funny, yet strong point during the course of the interview. "The thing is - earlier, if you were stupid, you were stupid all right, but no one else knew about it. Its not like that anymore."

I think by the passing day, this feeling is growing to be stronger and stronger. With people posting all kinds of nonsense and preaching all kinds of 'life leading' strategies, politics, defaming just any random person but with special affinity toward celebrities or their kids, it makes me wonder if this is what the world is headed toward. Because this is after all a mere reflection of what constitutes the world.

There is not one post that triggered me into writing this. I'd just have let it pass. But, people have an issue with everything. An actress does a photo shoot for Calvin Klein, they have an issue. I mean, CK is not popular for making sarees. A star kid wears something twice, they have a problem. The situation gets even more complicated with politics. Its like half baked information being fed to social media and some wise ass comments on it with his two cents. Someone retaliates because obviously the person who made the point can't have the last say. And then there is a whole bunch of people who try and preach and kinda enforce what they think has to be done to live. I won't be surprised if its just so superficial that the people in question don't even know an iota of how to do it themselves.

Well, who am I to judge? I'm nobody. I can judge and actually keep it to myself. I don't have issues with changing trends. I don't have issues with changing priorities. I don't have issues with changing jobs. What I do have issues with is perseverance. Meaning. And to a certain degree, discipline and dedication to what you stand for, or once stood for. Tomorrow just because stand up comedy is gaining popularity, if I choose to do stand up comedy and go about telling that I'm the best in the business, I'd myself be the comedy without having to do an act. Its one thing if you discover a flair for it within yourself, but are you really helping yourself by forcing on to your self to be something that doesn't come naturally to you?

Again, I know that people have been making a living out of social media. Internet has always been a very powerful tool. I'm not against marketing or putting yourself out there if that is what you are looking for. But just think before you post or comment. See if you find it stupid in your head. Taking risks and creating a path hitherto unknown is good. Just see how much deviation is it from your reality.

No comments: